Saturday, May 21, 2011

Which Way Do I Go?


 When I was younger I can remember going to my father and talking to him about decisions that I felt I didn't know how to make on my own. He being the wise man that he is would have me do something like a pro/con list or would talk to me about the benefits of each choice. What I remember most however, is the poem that would always be recited at the end of these conversations. It is a simple poem be Robert Frost about two roads and the choice that is needing to be made.

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
The man in Frosts poem had to make a decision. If he were to never choose he would be standing there forever with no progression or progress. However, both roads were good and perhaps another day he would come back and walk the first. I can still hear my dad quoting those last three lines to me each time I came to him. There are so many decisions to make and sometimes we need to choose the road less traveled.  We need to choose the path that our Savior traveled; we need to walk in his foot steps! Just as I turned to my earthly father for help in making decisions so can we each turn to our heavenly father in the life choices that we make. Choices can be overwhelming but if we remember the teachings of the prophet Moroni "that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God" we will be led to do the will of the Lord.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment