Saturday, May 28, 2011

I'm Just a Little Girl

When I was young my favorite Disney movie was Alice in Wonderland I loved the story of this little girl transported into a fantastical world of adventure, unique animals and eccentric characters. I always imagined myself as Alice going about on her quest and some how always getting herself into trouble. In fact that was me as a kid! So I felt very connected with Alice and her situation. However, there was one scene in the movie that always confused me. Alice is told by the caterpillar that one side of the mushroom will make her grow and the other-side will make her shrink. In a lack of proper instruction Alice takes a big bite of the one that will make her grow and shoots into the air. A bird that is nesting in the tree above is disturbed by Alice's sudden growth and starts shouting "Serpent, Serpent, Serpeeeeeeeent." In response Alice tells the bird "I'm not a serpent . . . I'm just a little girl." The bird does not believe her and begins attacking her. Was Alice a serpent? Obviously not! But this bird had in her mind that she was and wouldn't let go of that idea.
 Do we ever have the wrong idea of a person and cannot let it go?  "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged" (Matt 7:1-2). As we judge others we are placing that same judgement on our own heads. We have no understanding of where others are coming from. We have not seen the events that have led up to this moment. Only Christ can judge only he has seen all things. The bird had no idea how hard Alice's day had already been or would continue to be. Let us therefore judge not but instead love one another. "None of us is perfect. I know of no one who would profess to be so. And yet for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others. we make judgements concerning their actions or inactions . . . Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for out fellow travelers in this journey through life" (President Thomas S. Monson)

No comments:

Post a Comment