Saturday, August 27, 2011

Be Still

How often do we see people walking around with those little buds in their ears, rocking out to the latest tunes? It reminds me of when I was in college and seeing all the people on the bus with there ear-buds in. Now I see people running together and not talking but listening to their separate music. Who of us has put on music to relax or think? I know I have. I even put on music to study. But it is only on very rare occasions that I spend time in just quite peaceful thought? Now don't get me wrong, I love music it seems a little strange to me to not have music playing as I am driving. Perhaps however, we need to take time to simply be still, and listen.


When I was in college I can remember a day where life just felt overwhelming. I had just heard that my dad had kidney cancer and I was struggling with the idea of mortality. After about a day of freaking out and crying my eyes out, I decided that I would spend some time and just talk to God about it. I turned off the music and sat on the floor of my bedroom. I said a prayer, which consisted of very little, and then just sat. As the stillness and the quiet overcame I was able to listen to the spirit and have a better understanding of what the Lord had for me to hear. I was able to understand that no matter what happened that everything would be okay, that my dad would be taken care of even if that meant in heaven. The Lord has said "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalms 46:10).  I believe that if we take the time to be still and listen to the Lord we will be able to truly know that he is God and is looking out for us and our needs.






No comments:

Post a Comment