Friday, June 10, 2011

Effects of Music

I have always loved music in fact I loved it so much that is what I got my degree in when I went to college. Music has so much impact on us that we don't even recognize. As we listen to a fast paced song our heart rate rises. As we listen to sad song our mood changes. It is those almost unnoticed things that make music such a joy! I love listening to happy music when I am down in the dumps to help me pull myself out of it and fast music when I work out because then my workout doesn't seem so hard. The Lord also loves music! Why would we have so much of it if he didn't? "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads" (D&C 25:12). But just like with the rest of our lives we must focus on the good. There is bad music out there that brings you down and harms your soul. It comes through the music's language, lyrics, melody (or lack there of), style and tempo. I know that as we put forth effort to listen to only uplifting and good music the spirit will have better access to us and we will be better able to listen to the still small voice that is trying to reach us. In an effort to help in this process I have included one of my favorite songs. This is just one of many different types of music that are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment